Infotainment Factory: Phones confiscated in Sharks NRL probe

Trending

>

Post Top Ad

Post Top Ad

Monday, 29 October 2018

Phones confiscated in Sharks NRL probe


//

Phones belonging to directors of Cronulla Sharks have reportedly been seized by the NRL's integrity unit as the probe into potential salary cap breaches intensifies.

The Daily Telegraph has reported that phones were handed in on Monday as the code's integrity units investigates alleged cap irregularities during 2015 and 2017.

Sharks CEO Barry Russell initially reported the possible breaches when he turned up some suspicious and historic payments during a club-instigated governance review.

The investigation stems from the Sharks' 2016 premiership win.

“Unfortunately, I’m not able to make any comment as the investigation by the NRL is ongoing and confidential,” Sharks chief executive Barry Russell told News Corp.

According to the publication, a source with knowledge of the situation said the investigation must be ­“hotting up” if Sharks officials were told to hand over their phones.

It hasn't been established whether then Sharks CEO and now Manly chief executive Lyall Gorman had his phone confiscated.

It's alleged the investigation was sparked by undeclared third-party payments last year after the value of players increased considerably following the club's 2016 premiership win.

New Sharks CEO Barry Russell. 

The NRL has also impounded a number of servers but no timeframe has been set to finalise and announce its findings.

At the time, it was thought the breach could be more than $250,000.

When the cap drama first surfaced, NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg said coach Shane Flanagan, former CEO Lyall Gorman and ex-chairman Damian Keogh would be asked to front the code's governing body.

Phones belonging to directors of Cronulla Sharks have reportedly been seized by the NRL's integrity unit as the probe into potential salary cap breaches intensifies.

The Daily Telegraph has reported that phones were handed in on Monday as the code's integrity units investigates alleged cap irregularities during 2015 and 2017.

Sharks CEO Barry Russell initially reported the possible breaches when he turned up some suspicious and historic payments during a club-instigated governance review.

The investigation stems from the Sharks' 2016 premiership win.

“Unfortunately, I’m not able to make any comment as the investigation by the NRL is ongoing and confidential,” Sharks chief executive Barry Russell told News Corp.

According to the publication, a source with knowledge of the situation said the investigation must be ­“hotting up” if Sharks officials were told to hand over their phones.

It hasn't been established whether then Sharks CEO and now Manly chief executive Lyall Gorman had his phone confiscated.

It's alleged the investigation was sparked by undeclared third-party payments last year after the value of players increased considerably following the club's 2016 premiership win.

New Sharks CEO Barry Russell. 

The NRL has also impounded a number of servers but no timeframe has been set to finalise and announce its findings.

At the time, it was thought the breach could be more than $250,000.

When the cap drama first surfaced, NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg said coach Shane Flanagan, former CEO Lyall Gorman and ex-chairman Damian Keogh would be asked to front the code's governing body.

https://ift.tt/2zd6V0x
//

No comments:

Post a Comment