Infotainment Factory: Johnson reveals harsh truth on Warriors future

Trending

>

Post Top Ad

Post Top Ad

Monday, 26 November 2018

Johnson reveals harsh truth on Warriors future


//

Shaun Johnson is testing the NRL market place after revealing the Warriors have made him no offer to stay beyond next season.

The seasoned Kiwis' half took to social media on Monday to clarify his position, saying he was 'spreading his wings' after club bosses had told him they were not prepared to table a contract extension from 2020.

The club has previously made it clear the 28-year-old is free to explore his options, even though he's halfway through a two-year deal which is believed to be worth seven figures - the biggest in their history.

Reports had emerged last month suggesting Warriors management might be prepared to offer a downgraded extension, as they've done in retaining veteran hooker Issac Luke for next year.

However, Johnson says it is clear that won't happen.

"If you saw the article that came out a few weeks back ... in a roundabout way they said they are in no rush to re-sign me. Since then, they have told me again at this stage they wont be offering me anything," Johnson wrote on Facebook.

"That means I get to spread my wings and see what's out there so right now that's what I'm doing!"

Johnson might ask to leave a year early but it isn't obvious how many NRL clubs are in the market for a highly paid half next season.

It would also leave the Warriors in a hole, having already offered a release to back-up halfback Mason Lino, who has left for Newcastle.

Johnson has scored a club record 917 points in 162 appearances since his brilliant 2011 debut season.

He has previously stated a desire to be one-club player like the recently retired Simon Mannering but it is apparent that won't happen.

"All of you know how much the Warriors mean to me and how grateful I am for the opportunity they have given me to live my dreams and play the sport I love!" he wrote.

Warriors CEO Cameron George was unavailable for immediate comment.

Last month, George said he had an open mind about Johnson's future.

"With any recruitment decisions, it's about the team and the club first. But whilst we're being open-minded about the future, we're not going to be scared to make big calls on any player," he said.

George has reportedly offered coach Stephen Kearney a three-year contract extension through to 2022, with an announcement expected before Christmas.

Johnson's former teammate, prop James Gavet, last week said he felt the playmaker would benefit from a change of scene.

Gavet, having left the Warriors for the Knights next season, said most clubs would look closely at signing a player as gifted as Johnson.

"He can have his on and off days but, when he is on, I don't think anyone can stop him," he told Fox Sports.

Shaun Johnson is testing the NRL market place after revealing the Warriors have made him no offer to stay beyond next season.

The seasoned Kiwis' half took to social media on Monday to clarify his position, saying he was 'spreading his wings' after club bosses had told him they were not prepared to table a contract extension from 2020.

The club has previously made it clear the 28-year-old is free to explore his options, even though he's halfway through a two-year deal which is believed to be worth seven figures - the biggest in their history.

Reports had emerged last month suggesting Warriors management might be prepared to offer a downgraded extension, as they've done in retaining veteran hooker Issac Luke for next year.

However, Johnson says it is clear that won't happen.

"If you saw the article that came out a few weeks back ... in a roundabout way they said they are in no rush to re-sign me. Since then, they have told me again at this stage they wont be offering me anything," Johnson wrote on Facebook.

"That means I get to spread my wings and see what's out there so right now that's what I'm doing!"

Johnson might ask to leave a year early but it isn't obvious how many NRL clubs are in the market for a highly paid half next season.

It would also leave the Warriors in a hole, having already offered a release to back-up halfback Mason Lino, who has left for Newcastle.

Johnson has scored a club record 917 points in 162 appearances since his brilliant 2011 debut season.

He has previously stated a desire to be one-club player like the recently retired Simon Mannering but it is apparent that won't happen.

"All of you know how much the Warriors mean to me and how grateful I am for the opportunity they have given me to live my dreams and play the sport I love!" he wrote.

Warriors CEO Cameron George was unavailable for immediate comment.

Last month, George said he had an open mind about Johnson's future.

"With any recruitment decisions, it's about the team and the club first. But whilst we're being open-minded about the future, we're not going to be scared to make big calls on any player," he said.

George has reportedly offered coach Stephen Kearney a three-year contract extension through to 2022, with an announcement expected before Christmas.

Johnson's former teammate, prop James Gavet, last week said he felt the playmaker would benefit from a change of scene.

Gavet, having left the Warriors for the Knights next season, said most clubs would look closely at signing a player as gifted as Johnson.

"He can have his on and off days but, when he is on, I don't think anyone can stop him," he told Fox Sports.

https://ift.tt/2DJkYi5
//

No comments:

Post a Comment