Infotainment Factory: 'Stuff America': US reacts to Horn's KO win

Trending

>

Post Top Ad

Post Top Ad

Friday, 30 November 2018

'Stuff America': US reacts to Horn's KO win


//

Australians might be thumping their chests in admiration over Jeff Horn’s 96-second KO victory over Anthony Mundine, yet it appears ‘The Hornet’s’ dominance over a 54-fight veteran 13 years his senior has barely made a ripple overseas.

The 30-year-old’s anti-climactic win has sent Mundine packing into retirement, with both fighters splitting around $4-5 million after a short night’s work. The quietly spoken Queenslander has expressed a strong desire to head back to the US following his less than ideal performance against Terence Crawford but whether he gets a legitimate shot, that’s a different story altogether.

Last night’s fight was a money fight. Mundine’s PPV pulling power in Australia is undeniable and Horn would struggle to make that kind of scratch for a night’s work anywhere in the world of boxing, especially since falling flat against future hall-of-famer Crawford. Horn has mouths to feed and accepting a bout against ‘The Man’ made sense on every level.

Due to Horn’s affiliations with Top Rank promotions, the fight was broadcast live into the United States in the early hours of the morning and promoter Dean Lonergan said he had been contacted by icon Bob Arum after the fight.

“As you know Bob’s one of the biggest promoters in the world and he’s got a longtime deal with ESPN,” Lonergan told reporters.

“Bob texted me and said to pass on his congratulations to (trainer) Glenn (Rushton) and Jeff, it’s a massive effort so I’ll be talking to Bob in the very near future.”

There’s no doubt Horn’s people will be in touch with Arum in the near future trying to devise a way back into the lucrative US fight market with a favourable match-up that can showcase his power at a new weight.

But Horn’s credibility among US fight fans and pundits is still a bit shaky, with a host of commentators throwing shade over the Australian’s split decision victory over Manny Pacquiao. And beating a fighter they’ve never even heard of, who’s in his forties at the end of his career, would barely register with the people that matter.

Arum is a financial genius and has been involved with all the heavy-hitters in the fight game going back decades, but trying to sell another Horn fight in Vegas maybe difficult.

Fight fans are fickle and have long memories and Horn’s performance against Crawford may stick, making it difficult to sell his next fight as a true challenge.

Although his win over a huge name like Pacquiao was substantial, the fact there was uproar inside the US over the split decision win puts Horn’s marketability in jeopardy.

The former teacher’s trainer Glenn Rushton said after the fight he’s chasing biggest names in the sport and would love to take on someone like Canelo Alvarez or even a rematch with Crawford down under.

“I hope it’s received very well, you never know,” Rushton said.

“You never know how they’ll react.

“We’ll have to wait and let the dust settle and see what they say but I hope it (Horn’s win) went over well. The time zone wasn’t ideal for America but it will be interesting to see the fallout over the coming days.

"Stuff Vegas. Stuff America. Let's bring the big fights here," Rushton said.

"I want to see Jeff Horn bring big fights to Australia."

High profile American boxing commentators, including ESPN’s Dan Rafael and Teddy Atlas, didn’t to comment on the fight, which is surprising since Atlas was so keen to question the validity of the Australian’s win over 'The Pacman'.

However, there was some positive feedback, with Boxingscene.com describing Horn as "the undisputed main attraction of Australian boxing" after the win.

Although associate editor of Ring Magazine Tom Gray gave a sobering assessment of the Queenslander’s victory.

“Mundine is 43 years old and he has now lost five of his last nine fights. If you’re looking through his resume for a significant win at top level, then you would be going back several years,” Gray wrote.

“Mundine, who once held a WBA ‘regular’ middleweight belt, was once able to compete against solid opposition, but he has overstayed his welcome.”

“Horn may not be elite, but he’s still a handful.”

Boxing Insider openly questioned Mundine’s credentials and labelled the contest a mismatch.

The Washington Post had a story of Horn’s stoppage victory, but didn’t seem too impressed by Horn's win.

Scott Christ of SB Nation and Bad Left Hook declared: “There was no competition today in Brisbane.”

Horn’s team should be over the moon their charge won the fight because a loss to Mundine would’ve ended his career overseas, confining him to local fights against uninspiring opponents down under.

It’s totally plausible that Horn may get another shot in the US but it’s more likely his team and Top Rank will try to find a way to build the Queenslander’s market value by staging fights in his home state, looking to erase the loss to Crawford from the US paying public’s memory.

Whether that’s attainable, only time will tell.

Australians might be thumping their chests in admiration over Jeff Horn’s 96-second KO victory over Anthony Mundine, yet it appears ‘The Hornet’s’ dominance over a 54-fight veteran 13 years his senior has barely made a ripple overseas.

The 30-year-old’s anti-climactic win has sent Mundine packing into retirement, with both fighters splitting around $4-5 million after a short night’s work. The quietly spoken Queenslander has expressed a strong desire to head back to the US following his less than ideal performance against Terence Crawford but whether he gets a legitimate shot, that’s a different story altogether.

Last night’s fight was a money fight. Mundine’s PPV pulling power in Australia is undeniable and Horn would struggle to make that kind of scratch for a night’s work anywhere in the world of boxing, especially since falling flat against future hall-of-famer Crawford. Horn has mouths to feed and accepting a bout against ‘The Man’ made sense on every level.

Due to Horn’s affiliations with Top Rank promotions, the fight was broadcast live into the United States in the early hours of the morning and promoter Dean Lonergan said he had been contacted by icon Bob Arum after the fight.

“As you know Bob’s one of the biggest promoters in the world and he’s got a longtime deal with ESPN,” Lonergan told reporters.

“Bob texted me and said to pass on his congratulations to (trainer) Glenn (Rushton) and Jeff, it’s a massive effort so I’ll be talking to Bob in the very near future.”

There’s no doubt Horn’s people will be in touch with Arum in the near future trying to devise a way back into the lucrative US fight market with a favourable match-up that can showcase his power at a new weight.

But Horn’s credibility among US fight fans and pundits is still a bit shaky, with a host of commentators throwing shade over the Australian’s split decision victory over Manny Pacquiao. And beating a fighter they’ve never even heard of, who’s in his forties at the end of his career, would barely register with the people that matter.

Arum is a financial genius and has been involved with all the heavy-hitters in the fight game going back decades, but trying to sell another Horn fight in Vegas maybe difficult.

Fight fans are fickle and have long memories and Horn’s performance against Crawford may stick, making it difficult to sell his next fight as a true challenge.

Although his win over a huge name like Pacquiao was substantial, the fact there was uproar inside the US over the split decision win puts Horn’s marketability in jeopardy.

The former teacher’s trainer Glenn Rushton said after the fight he’s chasing biggest names in the sport and would love to take on someone like Canelo Alvarez or even a rematch with Crawford down under.

“I hope it’s received very well, you never know,” Rushton said.

“You never know how they’ll react.

“We’ll have to wait and let the dust settle and see what they say but I hope it (Horn’s win) went over well. The time zone wasn’t ideal for America but it will be interesting to see the fallout over the coming days.

"Stuff Vegas. Stuff America. Let's bring the big fights here," Rushton said.

"I want to see Jeff Horn bring big fights to Australia."

High profile American boxing commentators, including ESPN’s Dan Rafael and Teddy Atlas, didn’t to comment on the fight, which is surprising since Atlas was so keen to question the validity of the Australian’s win over 'The Pacman'.

However, there was some positive feedback, with Boxingscene.com describing Horn as "the undisputed main attraction of Australian boxing" after the win.

Although associate editor of Ring Magazine Tom Gray gave a sobering assessment of the Queenslander’s victory.

“Mundine is 43 years old and he has now lost five of his last nine fights. If you’re looking through his resume for a significant win at top level, then you would be going back several years,” Gray wrote.

“Mundine, who once held a WBA ‘regular’ middleweight belt, was once able to compete against solid opposition, but he has overstayed his welcome.”

“Horn may not be elite, but he’s still a handful.”

Boxing Insider openly questioned Mundine’s credentials and labelled the contest a mismatch.

The Washington Post had a story of Horn’s stoppage victory, but didn’t seem too impressed by Horn's win.

Scott Christ of SB Nation and Bad Left Hook declared: “There was no competition today in Brisbane.”

Horn’s team should be over the moon their charge won the fight because a loss to Mundine would’ve ended his career overseas, confining him to local fights against uninspiring opponents down under.

It’s totally plausible that Horn may get another shot in the US but it’s more likely his team and Top Rank will try to find a way to build the Queenslander’s market value by staging fights in his home state, looking to erase the loss to Crawford from the US paying public’s memory.

Whether that’s attainable, only time will tell.

https://ift.tt/2BKIry5
//

No comments:

Post a Comment