Infotainment Factory: Hewitt confirms sensational Tomic threats

Trending

>

Post Top Ad

Post Top Ad

Thursday, 17 January 2019

Hewitt confirms sensational Tomic threats


//

Lleyton Hewitt has sensationally claimed Bernard Tomic physically threatened him and his family and says he'll never play Davis Cup as long as he's involved as captain.

Speaking after his Australian Open doubles exit, Hewitt says he's cut all contact with Tomic following abuse over the past 18 months.

Hewitt says he tried to help Tomic, who this week criticised his Davis Cup and Open wildcard player selection, but felt he was a lost cause.

"He won’t play Davis Cup while I have anything to do with it," Hewitt revealed to reporters.

"For me, it was probably the abuse that I copped from him that in the end I drew a line in the sand and I haven’t spoken to him since."

Hewitt revealed his frustration with the 26-year-old given the fact that he was once a mentor to the outspoken star.

"I think the threats that I’ve received for me and my family that I’ve had for a year and a half now … I don’t think anyone would reach out to a person that speaks like that,” he said.

“Since then, I haven’t had anything to do with Bernie.

“For me, the biggest frustration is I feel like I really went out of my way to help Bernie, especially when I first came into the role.

“I’ve spent a lot of time with him one-on-one at a lot of tournaments, tried to get a coaching structure and physical team around him to give him the best opportunity and at the end of the day, he still kept making the wrong mistakes."

Hewitt clarified that he did not feel genuinely threatened by Tomic's behaviour despite the alleged blackmail, and when asked by reporters why he believed Tomic allegedly acted the way he did, Hewitt suggested it was "maybe his upbringing".

The former Wimbledon winner said he had not received hostile personal contact from Tomic in approximately 18 months.

Hewitt also took a thinly-veiled shot at Australia's other polarising star Nick Kyrgios.

“We feel like we have a responsibility to set a cultural standard and right now Nick’s not meeting those either,” he said.

“The things that we feel like we have to push … all we ask for is commit to the sport. Go out there and give 100 per cent every time you step on the court.”

With AAP

More to come

Lleyton Hewitt has sensationally claimed Bernard Tomic physically threatened him and his family and says he'll never play Davis Cup as long as he's involved as captain.

Speaking after his Australian Open doubles exit, Hewitt says he's cut all contact with Tomic following abuse over the past 18 months.

Hewitt says he tried to help Tomic, who this week criticised his Davis Cup and Open wildcard player selection, but felt he was a lost cause.

"He won’t play Davis Cup while I have anything to do with it," Hewitt revealed to reporters.

"For me, it was probably the abuse that I copped from him that in the end I drew a line in the sand and I haven’t spoken to him since."

Hewitt revealed his frustration with the 26-year-old given the fact that he was once a mentor to the outspoken star.

"I think the threats that I’ve received for me and my family that I’ve had for a year and a half now … I don’t think anyone would reach out to a person that speaks like that,” he said.

“Since then, I haven’t had anything to do with Bernie.

“For me, the biggest frustration is I feel like I really went out of my way to help Bernie, especially when I first came into the role.

“I’ve spent a lot of time with him one-on-one at a lot of tournaments, tried to get a coaching structure and physical team around him to give him the best opportunity and at the end of the day, he still kept making the wrong mistakes."

Hewitt clarified that he did not feel genuinely threatened by Tomic's behaviour despite the alleged blackmail, and when asked by reporters why he believed Tomic allegedly acted the way he did, Hewitt suggested it was "maybe his upbringing".

The former Wimbledon winner said he had not received hostile personal contact from Tomic in approximately 18 months.

Hewitt also took a thinly-veiled shot at Australia's other polarising star Nick Kyrgios.

“We feel like we have a responsibility to set a cultural standard and right now Nick’s not meeting those either,” he said.

“The things that we feel like we have to push … all we ask for is commit to the sport. Go out there and give 100 per cent every time you step on the court.”

With AAP

More to come

http://bit.ly/2QRVJwZ
//

No comments:

Post a Comment