Infotainment Factory: Nadal withdraws from the Brisbane International

Trending

>

Post Top Ad

Post Top Ad

Wednesday, 2 January 2019

Nadal withdraws from the Brisbane International


//

World No.2 Rafael Nadal has shifted his attention to being fit for the Australian Open after pulling out of the Brisbane International with a minor leg strain.

The 32-year-old Spaniard will nurse the injury he picked up playing in Abu Dhabi at the end of last year until he lines up next week in the hit-and-giggle FAST4 Showdown in Sydney next week.

"I still wanted to play," Nadal told reporters on Wednesday.

"But all the recommendations from the doctors ... (were if) I play here, there is a risk, important risk to don't have the chance to play Melbourne."

The 17-time grand slam champion was due to play his opening Brisbane clash on Thursday - his first ATP tournament match since pulling out of the US Open semi-finals in September with an ongoing knee complaint.

He lost to South African Kevin Anderson in his only match at the Mubadala exhibition last week, withdrawing from the event after the defeat.

Nadal was limited to nine tournaments last year due to a string of ailments and his preparation for the Australian summer was disrupted by ankle surgery in November.

Nadal's withdrawal means Australian No.1 Alex de Minaur or countryman Jordan Thompson will meet French veteran Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the quarter-finals.

Nadal, a 17-time grand slam winner, was given a first-round bye in Brisbane.

While he had a restricted 2018, he still won five tournaments including a record-extending 11th French Open title and made the Wimbledon and US Open semis.

But he was forced to pull out of two grand slams through injury.

World No.2 Rafael Nadal has shifted his attention to being fit for the Australian Open after pulling out of the Brisbane International with a minor leg strain.

The 32-year-old Spaniard will nurse the injury he picked up playing in Abu Dhabi at the end of last year until he lines up next week in the hit-and-giggle FAST4 Showdown in Sydney next week.

"I still wanted to play," Nadal told reporters on Wednesday.

"But all the recommendations from the doctors ... (were if) I play here, there is a risk, important risk to don't have the chance to play Melbourne."

The 17-time grand slam champion was due to play his opening Brisbane clash on Thursday - his first ATP tournament match since pulling out of the US Open semi-finals in September with an ongoing knee complaint.

He lost to South African Kevin Anderson in his only match at the Mubadala exhibition last week, withdrawing from the event after the defeat.

Nadal was limited to nine tournaments last year due to a string of ailments and his preparation for the Australian summer was disrupted by ankle surgery in November.

Nadal's withdrawal means Australian No.1 Alex de Minaur or countryman Jordan Thompson will meet French veteran Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the quarter-finals.

Nadal, a 17-time grand slam winner, was given a first-round bye in Brisbane.

While he had a restricted 2018, he still won five tournaments including a record-extending 11th French Open title and made the Wimbledon and US Open semis.

But he was forced to pull out of two grand slams through injury.

http://bit.ly/2VnNGvy
//

No comments:

Post a Comment