Infotainment Factory: What Tomic must do to avert first-round defeat

Trending

>

Post Top Ad

Post Top Ad

Thursday, 10 January 2019

What Tomic must do to avert first-round defeat


//

Australian tennis great Todd Woodbridge has revealed what Bernard Tomic will need to do in order to cause a major upset in his opening round clash.

The unseeded Tomic was dealt a tough hand, pitted against 2018 Australian Open finalist and sixth seed Marin Cilic, as the full draw was released on Thursday evening.

After failing to make the tournament in 2018, Tomic has looked somewhat revitalised in the lead-up to the Open, but Woodbridge suggested that the 26-year-old has a minuscule margin for error.

"He is tough as nails, so Bernard is going to have to put that mental helmet on and go, 'I am refusing to miss and lose'," Woodbridge said on Nine's coverage of the draw.

Bernard Tomic

"He's going to have to come out with more than we've seen from him in a couple of years.

"He's coming up against Marin who was in the final last year and is coached by Goran Ivanisevic."

Woodbridge credited Tomic for turning his fortunes around ahead of this year's Australian Open, but conceded that the Australian faces an uphill task.

"He's made that transition back into the top 100, he's done the good work to be able to put himself there, but its a tough ask to get through round one," he said.

Nick Kyrgios

Tomic and Cilic have faced off three times prior to this year's tournament, with the Croat holding a 2-1 head-to-head record.

The most recent clash between the duo came at the 2015 ATP World Tour Masters in Canada where the Australian took out Cilic in straight sets.

Tomic and Cilic's first clash came during the 2010 Australian Open, where Cilic prevailed in a five-set thriller.

Tomic was not the only Australian to be handed a tough first-round opponent, with Nick Kyrgios pitted against Canada's Milos Raonic, while James Duckworth will face second seed Rafael Nadal.

Australian tennis great Todd Woodbridge has revealed what Bernard Tomic will need to do in order to cause a major upset in his opening round clash.

The unseeded Tomic was dealt a tough hand, pitted against 2018 Australian Open finalist and sixth seed Marin Cilic, as the full draw was released on Thursday evening.

After failing to make the tournament in 2018, Tomic has looked somewhat revitalised in the lead-up to the Open, but Woodbridge suggested that the 26-year-old has a minuscule margin for error.

"He is tough as nails, so Bernard is going to have to put that mental helmet on and go, 'I am refusing to miss and lose'," Woodbridge said on Nine's coverage of the draw.

Bernard Tomic

"He's going to have to come out with more than we've seen from him in a couple of years.

"He's coming up against Marin who was in the final last year and is coached by Goran Ivanisevic."

Woodbridge credited Tomic for turning his fortunes around ahead of this year's Australian Open, but conceded that the Australian faces an uphill task.

"He's made that transition back into the top 100, he's done the good work to be able to put himself there, but its a tough ask to get through round one," he said.

Nick Kyrgios

Tomic and Cilic have faced off three times prior to this year's tournament, with the Croat holding a 2-1 head-to-head record.

The most recent clash between the duo came at the 2015 ATP World Tour Masters in Canada where the Australian took out Cilic in straight sets.

Tomic and Cilic's first clash came during the 2010 Australian Open, where Cilic prevailed in a five-set thriller.

Tomic was not the only Australian to be handed a tough first-round opponent, with Nick Kyrgios pitted against Canada's Milos Raonic, while James Duckworth will face second seed Rafael Nadal.

http://bit.ly/2H2BiO7
//

No comments:

Post a Comment