Infotainment Factory: Meninga calls for NRL bad boys to be banned

Trending

>

Post Top Ad

Post Top Ad

Wednesday, 20 February 2019

Meninga calls for NRL bad boys to be banned


//

Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga has called for players facing criminal charges to be stood down until their cases are determined, as the NRL’s independent commission considers legal advice before deciding on Jack de Belin’s future.

De Belin has pleaded not guilty to raping a woman in company at a unit in Wollongong last month, and Meninga believes the Dragons star needs to stand aside until he’s proven innocent by the courts.

Meninga is known for his strong stance on player behaviour and had no qualms suspending Greg Inglis and stripping him of the Kangaroos’ captaincy following drink driving and speeding charges last year.

Mal meninga

And the rugby league immortal told News Corp, de Belin should be suspended from the game on full pay.

“Anything around domestic violence or sexual abuse, is a no-no in society,” Meninga said. “The game has to say no too. Everyone is sick of it. Their time’s up.

“If you bugger up and get charged, you’ve got to be suspended until your case is determined. You can’t be around the game or the team. It’s got to be definitive.

“Yes, there has to be a presumption of innocence until found guilty but players have got to understand they are custodians of the game.

“Anyone who goes outside the parameters and values deserves to be extinguished from our game.”

De Belin was in line to be considered for Kangaroos selection last year but if an Australian side was to be picked tomorrow, Meninga said the NSW Origin star wouldn’t be considered.

Jack De Belin

However, Meninga did say making a mistake shouldn’t rule anyone out from being given a second chance.

“In any values system, there has to be an element for redemption.

“Sometimes it takes a bit longer for players to absorb that and take it on board.

“If you can turn your life around and display the behaviour that’s complementary to being an ambassador and custodian of our game, you can represent your country again.”

It comes ahead of the ARLC Commission’s meeting next Thursday to review the current policy adopted by the NRL, where players who plead not guilty to criminal charges cannot be stood down until the case is resolved in court.

Chairman Peter Beattie has been contacting chairmen from each club before meeting to get an understanding on how each club feels about the matter.

According to the publication nine chairmen have thrown their weight behind a push to suspend players immediately on full pay until their case is decided, which is a similar policy undertaken by the NFL.

Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga has called for players facing criminal charges to be stood down until their cases are determined, as the NRL’s independent commission considers legal advice before deciding on Jack de Belin’s future.

De Belin has pleaded not guilty to raping a woman in company at a unit in Wollongong last month, and Meninga believes the Dragons star needs to stand aside until he’s proven innocent by the courts.

Meninga is known for his strong stance on player behaviour and had no qualms suspending Greg Inglis and stripping him of the Kangaroos’ captaincy following drink driving and speeding charges last year.

Mal meninga

And the rugby league immortal told News Corp, de Belin should be suspended from the game on full pay.

“Anything around domestic violence or sexual abuse, is a no-no in society,” Meninga said. “The game has to say no too. Everyone is sick of it. Their time’s up.

“If you bugger up and get charged, you’ve got to be suspended until your case is determined. You can’t be around the game or the team. It’s got to be definitive.

“Yes, there has to be a presumption of innocence until found guilty but players have got to understand they are custodians of the game.

“Anyone who goes outside the parameters and values deserves to be extinguished from our game.”

De Belin was in line to be considered for Kangaroos selection last year but if an Australian side was to be picked tomorrow, Meninga said the NSW Origin star wouldn’t be considered.

Jack De Belin

However, Meninga did say making a mistake shouldn’t rule anyone out from being given a second chance.

“In any values system, there has to be an element for redemption.

“Sometimes it takes a bit longer for players to absorb that and take it on board.

“If you can turn your life around and display the behaviour that’s complementary to being an ambassador and custodian of our game, you can represent your country again.”

It comes ahead of the ARLC Commission’s meeting next Thursday to review the current policy adopted by the NRL, where players who plead not guilty to criminal charges cannot be stood down until the case is resolved in court.

Chairman Peter Beattie has been contacting chairmen from each club before meeting to get an understanding on how each club feels about the matter.

According to the publication nine chairmen have thrown their weight behind a push to suspend players immediately on full pay until their case is decided, which is a similar policy undertaken by the NFL.

https://ift.tt/2BKAo3U
//

No comments:

Post a Comment